First of all you should think in which season you are going to travel.
Summer –> The places are crowded, it is hot, prices are higher, lines are really big, it’s hard to carry your big backpack on your shoulders because you’ll be sweating and it’s not comfortable to carry without shirts with sleeves. BUT you just take light clothes with you, the outdoor places and museums are opened till late, the sun is up till 8pm.
Winter –> reeeeally cold, the sun rises late and is gone before 4pm., heavy clothes to take with you in your backapack, the outdoor places and museus close earlier. BUT there is no line to get into the museus, prices of hostels are lower, places are quite empty, you will not sweat!
So, in the summer you should take:
– light clothes: 1 pair of jeans, 2 shorts, 1 skirt, 1 pair of pants, 3 shirts, 3 t-shirts, 1 dress, 3 pairs of socks, 7 underwears, 2 bra, 1 sweater, 1 pijama, 1 bikini or trunks.
– 1 pair of sneakers, 2 pairs of sandals (one for the night, one for the day), 1 pair of fip-flops.
– 1 tower, 1 small tower, small shampoos, conditioners and soaps, like the ones you get in hotels.
– sunglasses, sunscreen, a comb, 2 earrings, 2 rings, 2 necklaces and your really economic size make-up set.
– wax machine, small dryer, small set to make your nails (if you stay on the road for a long time).
– Your own hygiene products in a necessair.
– Your own medicines.
– money, cellphone, creditcard, passport (or ID if you are in your country) in your pocket wallet hidden under your clothes or in a purse which will be always with you! Don’t forget it in the bathroom when you go for a piiii…
– Sleeping bag (economic size). Check out tips regarding sleeping bags here: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/sleeping+bag+backpacking.html
–> wash yourself your clothes on the way or leave them in a laundry service shop in the morning of your first day in the city and get them on the next day.
* For the winter some things should change:
– Heavy clothes: 2 pairs of underwear pants, 2 pairs of jeans (maximum!), 1 pair of pants, 2 long sleeves underwear shirts, 3 shirts, 2 t-shirts, 10 underwares, 3 bra, 7 pairs of socks, 2 sweaters, 1 warm pijama, 1 big warm coat, 2 scarves. See how your bag will be heavier in the winter! Of course you will be always wearing the big coat when you are out!
– 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of waterproof boots, 1 pair of flip-flops, maybe 1 pair of sandals or boots to wear for night parties.
Do not take more than this!!! Of course you will buy some other things and clothes on your way! So, there must be enough space for you to bring your new things in the backpack, ok?!